Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Grigor Dimitrov eyeing French Open success

French Open: Grigor Dimitrov in search of his first grand slam

Rising tennis star Grigor Dimitrov has set tall targets for himself in this year’s French Open, revealing that he is looking to capture his first grand slam trophy.
The 22-year-old has fast become a subject of discussions and talks amongst the pundits and media this season, after his rapid rise to prominence.
Almost a week ago, he made waves in the tennis world by beating world number one Novak Djokovic in the Rome Masters.
Dimitrov has entered into this year’s French Open for the first time as a seeded player, but this has not prevented the Bulgarian from setting audacious targets.
When asked during an interview if he thought he could win the Roland Garros title this year, not only was his answer a blunt ‘Yeah’ but he went a step further by claiming that he was ready to get the better of Djokovic once again in the pair’s potential third round clash.
He elaborated: “I think you come into a tournament, you've got to be ready and come positive and loaded with energy. Playing matches and playing good players gives you confidence.
“I think with every match you're starting to wonder, you know, I can go further. Then I think once that talk kind of seals in your head and you have that set of mind, that I can win and coming on court every day and trying to do something better.”
Dubbed as ‘Baby Federer’ by some due to the resemblance of his style of play to the Swiss maestro, Dimitrov seems to have all the necessary tools to challenge the game’s establishment and has got a booming confidence to add to that.
After safely going through into the second round, courtesy his opponent’s (Alejandro Falla) withdrawal due to an injury at the start of the second set, the talented player is relishing the opportunity to prove his mettle at the highest level.
He added: “I don't think I should feel any pressure at the moment. I mean, I'm into the second round of a slam. There's nothing better than that. It's a great feeling.
“Of course, the random thinking is taking one match at a time. I mean, these are the kind of matches I'd always want to play in. I feel good on the big courts and playing against good players."

No comments:

Post a Comment